The political situation has been consistently in a heightened state in recent days. Nothing major has happened and things are still safe, but the protests and marches have escalated in frequency. They have become more organized and wide-spread (but still not violent), usually obstructing streets. The U.S. Embassy gives us e-mail updates about the scheduled marches, and I often find out about them via Twitter so I can try to avoid them.
I still go to the Pearl Roundabout (the protester's center) once a week or so with friends. Last Sunday I met several new people at a lecture. Nearby the main camp area a tent was set up with a table for the speaker and chairs for the audience. I don't know exactly what the Sheikh (religious leader) was saying since it was all in Arabic, but I would occasionally catch a few things. I had a great conversation with two young students about the government here; it made me appreciate being from a country with truly fair elections.
------------------------------
As the impasse has continued for about three weeks now, I knew that something would give soon. Today several marches/protests were broken up by riot police in scattered towns across the island. Rumors are flying on the internet, so I don't know exactly what happened. I do know a very good friend of mine lives in the town where it was taking place and I haven't heard from her yet tonight.
This afternoon we met with some other believers to talk about how to meet our local friend's needs during this time and how to speak Jesus into this situation. You can be praying that the Lord gives us wisdom in this area.
I still go to the Pearl Roundabout (the protester's center) once a week or so with friends. Last Sunday I met several new people at a lecture. Nearby the main camp area a tent was set up with a table for the speaker and chairs for the audience. I don't know exactly what the Sheikh (religious leader) was saying since it was all in Arabic, but I would occasionally catch a few things. I had a great conversation with two young students about the government here; it made me appreciate being from a country with truly fair elections.
------------------------------
As the impasse has continued for about three weeks now, I knew that something would give soon. Today several marches/protests were broken up by riot police in scattered towns across the island. Rumors are flying on the internet, so I don't know exactly what happened. I do know a very good friend of mine lives in the town where it was taking place and I haven't heard from her yet tonight.
This afternoon we met with some other believers to talk about how to meet our local friend's needs during this time and how to speak Jesus into this situation. You can be praying that the Lord gives us wisdom in this area.
No comments:
Post a Comment