To Donate:

To join my team financially or to be on my mailing list, email me at ClaireMarshBB@neomailbox.com.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ghost Town

This morning riot/police forces raided the Pearl again in an attempt to clear the protester's camp. I hear there have been about six deaths today, both at the Pearl and in villages.

Much like the first time a month ago, doctors and ambulances are not able to get to the injured or treat them. Rumors are the police (I use that term loosely) have even commandeered ambulances.  People outside the hospitals have been gassed and shot, and as you can imagine that tear gas floats into the hospital.

The Saudi and Emirate forces were supposed to quell the violence, but per most Bahraini's predictions, they have done the opposite. I exaggerate in no way when I say that they have attacked protesters and doctors in a mostly one-sided battle.

The island is on lock-down and a curfew has been implemented (4pm-4am). It looks like a ghost town outside: the roads are deserted, businesses aren't open, work and schools are closed. Only the grocery store remains open, where all the milk is gone and the ATMs are offline.

Per the embassy's recommendation (and just common sense, really), we have remained indoors. Most of our time is spent perusing Twitter feeds for updates, playing board games and watching movies. I check in on my local friends and so far, they and their families are all okay.

We continually monitor the situation, so unless the safety of our neighborhood changes, we will be staying.
In the side bar I put a link to a global 24-hour prayer chain for Bahrain. Please spend your time not worrying for our safety, (because really, we are not in a tremendous amount of immediate danger), but praying in Jesus' name that a resolution will come to this country and Bahrainis will be made aware of their need for Him. Having all their political demands met will still not bring personal peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment