To Donate:

To join my team financially or to be on my mailing list, email me at ClaireMarshBB@neomailbox.com.

Friday, April 1, 2011

learning Arabic

We've been here at language school for a week and it's going really well. I enjoy learning Arabic and having this optimal environment just makes it that much easier. I'm staying with a family (who is from our same 'company') that has two of the cutest little girls. She is Arab and he is from the States, so they have great insight into our work here in the Gulf.

Every morning we have classes for 4-5 hours and then I review for a little bit in the evening. I have already gotten much better at Arabic, but am still a bit shy about speaking it to Arabs. The town we're living in is small, but extremely conservative. It makes me appreciate the modernity in Bahrain and the freedom I have there as a single woman. I am not able to move about at will here quite as easily.

This morning we had house church (holy day is Friday) that is comprised of other workers from all over the States, Germany and Switzerland. The language school is secular, but there happens to be a lot of workers like us who are students. They are from Korea, China, Western and Southern Africa, Europe and the States, so our common language is often Arabic. It's great to have a community of people who support us and do all sorts of things to help us. Since arriving here, we have places to stay, a car to drive, and many invitations to dinner.

Tomorrow we are going out to the mountains for a little hiking, which is nice since there is nothing like that in Bahrain!

No comments:

Post a Comment