To Donate:

To join my team financially or to be on my mailing list, email me at ClaireMarshBB@neomailbox.com.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Muscat, Dubai, Manama

Although all this travelling around has been great in a variety of ways, but I am looking forward to being settled back in Bahrain. The last weekend at language school we drove a few hours to Muscat, Oman's coastal capital for three days. It is really beautiful, especially in comparison to the flat and vegetation-free Bahrain. 

The night before I left Oman for Dubai, I went with another worker to visit some of her friends (home visits are a common practice for Arabs). This room was filled with women ranging in age from two to eighty, totaling about 15 in all. We spoke in Arabic for the entire 90 minutes, something I didn't know I could do, and even looked at engagement party pictures. In Gulf culture, the engagement party is often as big as, or even bigger than the wedding party itself. There are fancy dresses, a big meal, dancing and pictures. 

Our team has spent a few days in Dubai debriefing and regrouping for our return to Bahrain (and visiting Ikea, where miraculously, I only spent 4 dollars). We discussed our expectations and goals of the past, how they had or hadn't been met, and ways to meet the new goals we created for the remaining few months of our stay. I am excited to return so I can continue to foster the relationships I've started thus far and point these women to Christ. 

My closest friend on the island informed me that her uncle has been arrested, is held in prison, and is no doubt being tortured. While us foreigners can live in safety, the Bahraini Shi'a are in no way safe. Their villages are still filled with tanks and military forces, and nighttime arrests and raids are far too common. 

points for prayer: 
 - a renewed energy for relationship development 
 - boldness to proclaim Christ and speak His truth into my friend's lives
 - open and softened hearts to Jesus because of the political instability that persists (great progress for The Kingdom is made when Muslims are fighting other Muslims)

No comments:

Post a Comment